Sunday, November 7, 2010

3 Things I Learned from Fishing that I Should have been Taught in Marketing.

I really like to fish, sort of. I guess I wouldn't consider myself an avid fisherman but there is something very relaxing and zen-like about standing on the shore under the sun just waiting. Waiting for the moment when you get a bite. The exhilaration of that singular moment and the thrill of the catch is enough to keep hundreds of thousands of people coming back...its also enough to support an entire network devoted completely to fishing.

While I was standing on the shore with my Partner in Crime I started to think of all the little things we do when we fish. It then occurred to me that it would make a great blog, if I could only find the time to write it...


Be Persistent, Be Patient
This has got to be like the Number 1 rule of fishing, one that I usually forget. I'm always in a rush to get out on the water and start reeling 'em in and after about 15 minutes of waiting with no bite, I'm usually convinced that there are no fish and I want to pack up and go home. My partner, however, always plans to wait a few hours and spend all day at a fishing hole if necessary. He's there for the long haul and knows that it takes time to find the fish then convince them to bite. Patience and Persistence wins every time, he always catches the most fish.


This principle is one of the keys to marketing. Marketing is not instant. It takes time. People, like fish, have to be massaged into wanting your "bait." They need to see it enough times, be comfortable with it and decide, "this is an offer I can't pass up!" then you hook 'em. It could take an hour before you get that first bite or it could take a month, but if you prepare your plan with the long haul in mind, you'll catch a lot more fish than your opponent.


Change your Bait
I'm sure you've seen a fisherman's tackle box before (or at least wandered down the fishing supply aisle in a Wal-Mart at least once, even if by accident) and noticed all the odds and ends. There is a reason for the multitudes of different bait out there. Quite simply, different fish like different things. I'm sure each company that manufactures these little plastic miracles puts a lot of work into figuring out the psychology and physiology of the fish they were aiming to entice with their lures--but I just buy what I think will work. I buy things that I think are pretty, lures that I don't have and ones that I see other people using on TV. I try them all and keep what works and put the others aside. You never know what a fish will jump at so you have to be prepared with options.

Having a "marketing mix" is an important way to start your first efforts. Since you don't know what will work for you, its best to try as many things as you can afford (and reasonably execute). As time goes on you'll find out, through response tracking, where the bulk of your customers are coming from. Once that becomes clear, you can stop sinking money into marketing that produces no returns and double up on your winning "lures."


"You Don't Catch Bass with a Bream Hook"
When I started fishing again as an adult, I just thought a hook was a hook and you just tie it to some line and throw it in the water with some bait on the end and that was that. Wrong. I was quickly informed that you "don't catch bass with a bream hook" meaning you have to know your target and use the appropriate tools to catch them. I could put that tiny bream hook in the water with a hundred hungry big mouth bass and would have missed every one of them. Why? Cause you need a heavy duty hook for a heavy fish.

Knowing your target is where most marketers have their biggest problems. If you don't have an accurate cross section of your customers then you're liable to waste time and money trying to entice people who weren't in the market for what you were selling in the first place. Once you know who you're marketing to, the next step is to make sure your "hook" is the right one. Dangling a foreign sports car in front of a customer base over the age of 70 may seem like  good idea, after all they probably have more disposable income than a college student or young professional, but in all reality the likely hood that they would actually bite is pretty slim. Don't believe me? Just take a look the next time you're out for a drive, you won't see too many Maseratis outside the lodge for bingo night.

The Zen of fishing is pretty educational and if you're a small business owner responsible for your own marketing, I suggest you take a day off, head down to the lake and just stand on the shore for a few hours. You'll learn a lot about yourself, your dedication and whether or not you have what it takes to really "catch fish."