Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Day in the Life: Be Accessible

I had another post planned for today, but as I worked along bouncing back and forth between planning a birthday party and working on marketing materials for a client I came up with today's little tidbit.

Planning parties is really fun for me. I don't think I would ever want to do it professionally but if I was a wealthy socialite I would probably throw parties more often than I would shop. Since I'm not yet to the point of hyper-expendable income I try to organize gatherings in bars or restaurants, that way, all I have to do is send out an invite and maybe pay for a round of drinks and viola! instant party. One of my favorite places to throw a budget-soiree is a local lounge. Why? My friends are bartenders, the atmosphere is upscale but inviting and most importantly the space is accessible. By "accessible space" I mean the owners are approachable, friendly and hungry for business which makes the space feel open to guests, their needs and suggestions.

We've all been there. The bar you never quite feel like a regular at. The pub you take a couple friends to but never to celebrate anything. The restaurant you may eat at because its convenient but you think to yourself as you leave "why do they have a banquet room? I've never seen anyone in there." These are all examples of inaccessible space.

An inaccessible space can be defined as a place that makes customers feel like customers--not guests. Business owners miss out on a lot of potential revenue by creating environments that are not multipurpose [i.e. providing a service/product and building relationships]. Its easy to see how a bar or restaurant might make themselves multipurpose and accessible by renting party space, but what about the hardware store owner? Or the kitchen supply guy? They should take the initiative and build an accessible space by offering classes, hosting "members only" shopping or sales events, even allowing regulars an exclusive trial of new high priced items.

People like to feel welcome, like they matter and like business owners appreciate the money they get from their customers. Chains don't have that luxury but small business owners do and they should take 100% advantage of it to watch their business grow.